From what I've seen, employee of the year award winners move to a different
job within a year about a third of the time.  (This is what the tobacco
companies call "anecdotal evidence." <g>)

Back in the days of 15 cent hamburgers, I worked in a McDonalds.  One month
I won the "Crewman of the Month" award (there were only male employees at
the time, the parent corporation frowned on the franchisees hiring women)
which entitled me to a $25 savings bond and the right to wear a GOLD HAT for
the next month.  Unfortunately I had worked til 1 AM the night before the
8AM non mandatory crew meeting and slept in--big mistake.  I never got to
wear the hat or wait for the savings bond to mature.  I mention this only
because it may indicate a personal bias on my part. <g>

I've stayed out of the bonus discussion, but the EOTY got me excited.  I'm
against bonuses--period.  If someone does an exceptional job, the best
monetary reward is a pay increase.  If the company does exceptionally well,
maybe the entire staff should get a pay increase.

-----Original Message-----
From: booth@martinvt.com [mailto:booth@martinvt.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2000 7:07 PM
To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
Subject: RE: Bonus Structures

Right.  These sorts of things are insults and would be better not done.  A
friend was chosen as "Employee of the Year" where he worked and was given
a reserved parking spot with a "reserved for Employee of the Year" for a
year right at the front door, his picture and a story were in the weekend
newspaper, and at a special lunch meeting in the cafeteria he was awarded
his recognition pin, a letter of commendation, and a bonus check of $250.
His photograph ( blown-up from his ID badge) was framed and hung in the
main lobby with all the previous winners.

He was mortified and angry.   He was job hunting within a few weeks.

Booth Martin
Booth@MartinVT.com
http://www.MartinVT.com

"Bale, Dan" <DBale@lear.com>