  • Subject: RE: This way or that?
  • From: "Bale, Dan" <DBale@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 11:27:28 -0400

Here's the problem as I see it with using device IDs as names for members or
as a key field for any purpose that extends past the end of the job.  In
most Rumba and CA shops I've been in, you can never count on getting the
same device ID from day to day.  (I don't know whether device IDs can be
"hardcoded".)  Maybe you're not a Rumba or CA shop now, but what if you
become one in the future?  Also, what do you do if a user's workstation goes
down and they have to use another workstation?

Too much M.I.S. personnel intervention for my taste.  If your data entry
users are only allowed one signon session, why not use their user ID instead
of the device ID?  You avoid both aforementioned problems.  I will admit to
not having done data entry apps since several years ago, so I may be
forgetting some of _valid_ reasons for using device IDs.  I just remember
all too well the problems we had using them.

- Dan Bale