  • Subject: RE: AFPDS to SCS conversion or ASCII
  • From: "Bob Crothers" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 08:25:25 -0500

James,

You can not covert from AFPDS to SCS as you would loose all of the
information that made you use AFP in the first place.

You can get at the AFP data, but you must use the print API's to do it
(QSPOPNSP and QSPGETSP).  These will get the data into a user space and from
there it is very easy to get the data into a stream file.  I have a command
that will do this (CpySplSpc).

The harder part is actually "restoring" the AFP data.  There are API's that
will let you do that, but not having ever done this myself, I don't know
what they are.

Also, don't forget your overlays and any other resources.  Typically, COLD
systems are used for long term archival purposes.  And if you archive your
Invoices, then at some time you will want to restore them.  Which means they
should use the same overlay as when the archive was done.

Bottom line:  This is much easier said then done.  As somebody else
mentioned, you might want to look at a COLD system that handles AFP.
Magellan's (www.magsoft.com ) product does this I think and probably others
also.

Regards,
Bob Crothers