For the original problem ,,, VFYOPT might help

VYFOPT Verify Optical Hardware Problems Resolved

>     Very odd. I have a 436 as well, and I've had two tape drives and
>  the CD running all at the same time with no problems whatsoever.
>  I've never had to "map a port" on the OS/400 side, and don't even
>  think that I would know how.
>
>      Regards,
>
>      - Lou Forlini
>        Software Engineer
>        System Support Products, Inc.

We were on such a system & now on 170 with only one tape drive & do not need
to remap - as I recall our AS/436 configuration only had the hardware ports
for 1 tape drive so we got the 2nd at the expense of the CD Rom, from the
OS/400 perspective.

We also had a whole series of upgrades - hardware & operating system on our
436 & somewhere in there we did not have to go thru this rat race any more
but I do not remember which upgrade gave us this benefit.

I remember seeing this in an IBM manual with step by step instructions how to
remap port on OS/400 between tape & CD Rom but now I can only find the S/36
side in some old IBM PTF instructions.

M/36 TC is usually mapped to tape drive & may need to be mapped to CD-Rom to
install PTFs from M36 side
Get over to M/36 command line
SYSLIST CRT & enter
DSPSYSVL & enter
The SSP System Values will roll up the scren - find the value DEVMAP TC -
press enter until it rolls up into view - note the name shown next to DEVICE
TC - this is the OS/400 device name that TC is currently mapped to - this
name will be used later to msp TC back to this original OS/400 device
enter as often as needed to get back to M/36 command line
SYSLIST & enter
CHGSYSVL DEVMAP,TC & press HELP key (not F1)
In the OS/400 device name field type OPT01 & then enter
If the command line appears, the mapping was successful
Until an IPL or TC mapped back to what it was, any reference to TC actually
refers to the CD Rom
If mapping was not successful, exit with 3 option & get to OS/400 command line
WRKCFGSTS CFGTYPE(*DEV) CFG(+OPT) ASTLVL(*BASIC)
look in Type column for 6320 which is CD Rom & note name in Device column ...
this is just to get corrected name that M/36 DSPSYSVL should have revealed

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor