  • Subject: RE: Web Tech Support
  • From: "Shaw, David" <dshaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 09:30:23 -0400

Pam,

When I was at GNC I had occasion to use the MAPICS online support quite a
bit.  It was quite helpful - the search engine for previously-reported
problems was reasonably good, access to fixes was decent, and updated source
code was available (!  MAPICS ECS support only provided executables and
cover letters listing the changes to the source - we had to manually
maintain our copies between releases before the online support became
available - yuck!).  I've also used online support for Microsoft stuff with
some success, as well as PC video cards (Diamond, S3, Hercules), sound cards
(Creative Labs), printers (HP, Canon), and tape drives (Colorado).  Some of
these are very good, others are weaker - MAPICS compares fairly well to
these.  I've started trying to use IBM's Electronic Services, but there's
still an administrative issue with that - I had to be added to "the contact
list" in order to ask questions, but even now that I have been they still
haven't updated my profile to let me do it (sigh).  For checking out
previously-reported APARs and finding PTF's, the AS/400 Service site works
pretty well most of the time - I don't remember that needing any
registration, but I may just have forgotten.

Dave Shaw
Spartan International, Inc.
Spartanburg, SC