  • Subject: Re: JWALK VS. TRADEPAQ VS JACADA
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 05:35:56 EDT

We are not yet doing any of this, but I have been to several seminars & demos
at IBM & our local AS/400 user group showing the strengths/weaknesses of
alternative packages.

1. I am most impressed with
Lansa for the Web http://www.lansa.com
Seagull's JWalk http://www.seagull.com
I saw some of IBM's native alternatives but liked the above more so

I had an opportunity to use DeskMaster from http://www.seacrest.com which
extends PC & internet-like features to green screen like a poor man's Lotus
Notes, e-mail conferencing, forms connected to legacy aps, but while it is
very useful for direct 400 users, it is not the kind of ap you are talking
about ... it looks like BosaNova now offers many of the same features,
turning twinax into a higher speed connection for traditional intranet
functions

2. The major contenders all have examples of sites powered by AS/400 using
their stuff, which look just great - I would look at the sites I consider to
be the most user-friendly of the AS/400 forums & ask which are powered by what

midrange dot com (linux I think) news/400 midrange computing
and some of the major suppliers of AS/400 resources
like IBM & System 3X warehouse

3. If you are now running some packaged application, there may already be
some web-enabled version of it available, but if you only need selected
application software there, then you might want to steer away ... an article
in March 13 Midrange Computing Magazine talked about the features of various
offerings & prices like $300,000.00

4. The kinds of questions I asked were ...
How granular is security & to what extent does it depend on our AS/400
security?
If we need to enhance an inquiry that is running both on our enterprise and
the web, can we go one place to modify it, or do we modify the enterprise
then re-jigger the web version?
We can write software on green screen that is to be executed GUI and vica
versa ... what combinations does your package support?
We have to take our AS/400 down for backups & application re-orgs ... what
happens to application on web site when AS/400 not available?

5. What interests me is AS/400 reports sent to a web site like recent
shipments to our customers, and for that there is $50.00 shareware like
http://www.bystools.com & the more expensive professional stuff.

> We are looking into putting some of out inquiry/entry screens on our web
>  site and have been checking into the following products.   JWALK,
Tradepaq,
>  and jacada.  Anyone have any pros/cons and/or experience for any of these?
>
>  Angela Wawrzaszek
>
>  Programmer/Analyst

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor