  • Subject: Re: The "greying of Common" Is it still true?
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 04:51:23 EDT

ncsmith@gate.net writes:

> They won't pay you (or treat you like the professional you are),
> but they will be happy to pay the two people it takes to replace you.

True story ... when I left Willis Music in Cincinnati, they had to
1. Hire THREE people to replace me.
2. Take some applications off the system.
3. Get a hardware upgrade.

One of the triggers that drove me out of there ... COMMON was in Cincinnati
one year ... I knew years in advance that it would be there ... I requested &
got approval for vacation time concurrent with COMMON ... I had every
intention of attending & paying to attend out of my own pocket ... then at
the last minute along came one of the usual totally avoidable idiotic
emergencies that forced them to delay my vacation  ... they thought they were
being very gracious in offering me an extra day paid vacation to delay what I
had been looking forward to for several years ... I did not get to go to
COMMON & a few months later I gave them my notice.

Management had an emergency meeting, authorizing just about anything to keep
me, including matching & raising above the salary of the place I was leaving
for (we're talking a 25% raise here) but I just had to get out of there, I
had had enough of being "hey you" with no willingness to accept my input to
sensible upgrades to improve performance ... like memory to make swapping
unneccessary ... we were on an IBM S/34 in which currently running programs
in aggregate typically needed 10 times as much memory as the system had
available.

A year later when I visited them for a few hours, they still had TWO people
doing what used to be my job, and those applications were still off the
system.

I had offered to help them out with some stuff for a 1/2 day on a visit to
Cincinnati for reasons other than seeing them, provided I got a check for $ X
before I started, because I knew from past experience with them that they
were slow to pay all sorts of bills, but they forgot to have it ready, so I
sat down in the lobby & said I would start when I was paid to start & various
people asked questions & I waved my hands ... no I don't want to hear this
because you don't want to pay me ... I think they broke all records in
cutting a check.

They showed me this program that had been giving top management conniptions,
and that they had had several PAs sweating over, and even shown it to outside
consultants & no one could find the bug ... I said to give me a copy of the
compile & I would take it with me to study & see what I could find.  I found
the problem in one day & ROFL - the boss PA was a very hard nose on certain
programming techniques, insisting on blank-after output because it saved
compile byte size vs. safety checking each file input for invalid reads & the
scenario was a conditional read of a file not processed in every cycle, not
cleared for the irrelevant cycles, but with the mentality of everyone
marching to the blank-after mantra, they would never see it, so I wrote
saying that one line would fix the problem & I would tell them what it was in
exchange for $250.00.  I was expecting them to haggle me down, but apparently
my attitude was more than they were willing to deal with.

This is known as burning bridges but I had taken so much hell from that
place's management over the years that I needed my self-esteem back in any
future dealings.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor