*********** Can anyone who has converted  from CISC to RISC comment
briefly on how difficult/easy this was.  Did you do the migration yourself
or did you have someone else do it for you i.e I.B.M     How long did it
take .**********

Michael,

First, get a copy of the CISC to RISC roadmap, read it, read it again, then
read it a third time.( AS/400 Road Map for Changing to PowerPC Technology
V4R4:Document Number: SA41-5150-04)
After that FOLLOW IT!  The one area that has caught most folks is vendor
software.  You will need to contact every vendor for new versions and
software keys (usually accompanied by an invoice)  Most of the time the
utilities are the ones that get forgotten,  DBU, Hawkeye, and change
management software are examples of the ones that get left behind by
accident.

If you can, arrange to do a side by side conversion.  Your business partner
will need to order your new box properly to do it, but if you can its the
best way.  If you FOLLOW THE ROADMAP, and plan your upgrade properly, all
things should go smoothly.  Figure about 2 weeks to plan out the
conversion, and depending on the box and the number of objects that are
being converted, a full weekend for the backups, conversion and testing.  I
have some customers that have done it overnight, but that is a bit risky.

Veteran of over 100 conversions:  Feel free to call with any question, any
time.  If you get in a pinch  I usually have my pager on 24x7.

Jim Oberholtzer
Computech Resources
Phone:    262/785-8111
Pager:    888/329-1958