  • Subject: Re: Re: Sales Pitches
  • From: David Gibbs <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 08:15:59 -0600 (CST)

> David, I think you're being naive, or generous, or both. You're
> allowing vendors to do business on this list at no cost. Fine,
> but as a consumer of this list, with limited time to read through
> the enormous volumes, these advertisment sales pitches add to the
> already crowded terrain.

Maybe I am being naive... I like to think that I'm also being
generous.

This list is about FINDING solutions to problems ... not GIVING
solutions.  If someone has a problem they need to solve, they post
the appropriate question ... others post solutions.  That solution
can be a programming technique, IBM licensed product, or a vendors
product... it does not really mater.  The majority of the vendors
on this list DO NOT simply hawk their wares... they respond to specific
messages where their solution would fit.  For example: Al Barsa
doesn't spout off messages announcing how great TAA Tools are and
how everyone should buy them... he responds to a message where
someone has expressed a need to do something that his product can do.

Announcing your availability to work is not solving a specific
problem... you're advertising your own consulting / contracting
services without any solicitation.

> Yet, when I once simply posted my
> availability for work on a similar list as this one (JD Edwards),
> I was told that's a no-no. I thought that there might be MIS
> Directors or managers who would get in contact.  On the JD
> Edwards list btw, you see almost no touting of products, maybe 5%
> of what you see on Midrange-L.

As for comparing this list to the JDEdwards list (a fine list, btw)
you're comparing citrus fruit to apples.  MIDRANGE-L simply covers
a much larger gammut of topics... so there will be more problems to
solve, and more solutions to those problems.

david