  • Subject: RE: XML and AS/400
  • From: "Reger, Bill" <breger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 12:21:11 -0500

                >  Ignore XML.
                >  At your own risk.

I agree.  I'm certainly no expert but from what I've read it has amazing
potential.  Basically XML documents contain the "metadata" (data about data)
along with the actual data content.  Including the metadata gives the
ability for anything to anything communications.

I'm sure we have all had (unpleasant) experiences with trying to access a
data file from a different platform.  (How exactly can I get this
comma-delimited file into my externally defined AS/400 database file?)  XML
can help eliminate this problem totally.

My understanding is that the major browsers already recognize XML.  Once the
AS/400 and other platforms are XML-fluent, I can foresee the possibility of
sending Purchase Orders to suppliers who are technologically advanced enough
to fully automate the PO into their order entry systems.  The same XML PO
could also be sent to suppliers who must "eye-ball" the PO (using a browser)
and reenter it into OE systems.  Same format, multiple solutions.

Obviously EDI with its X12 standards, etc. is similar in concept.  But in my
mind the real strength of XML will not only be EDI, but the volumes and
volumes of transactions, data transfers, and communications that occur
between companies and between individuals within a company.  Even our own
application to application data (now via *DTAQ's as an example) could be
reworked to use XML.  "Any to any" independence by having the metadata
included with the data is very exciting.

Harbinger (formerly Premenos) is one of the leading AS/400 EDI solutions
provider.  They are fully committed to XML to the extent that they are
reworking their entire product line to be XML-compliant and asking their
customers to move in this direction before the end of the year 2000.  Say
what you will about their "forcing" their customers down a path they might
not what to go.  But Harbinger is basically betting their business on XML.
By the way, I am not affiliated in any way with Harbinger.

Like I say, I'm no expert and I hope my facts are accurate.  JMHO

William K. Reger
Senior Project Manager
Levitz Furniture Corporation
Phone:  (561) 994-5114