  • Subject: RE: Advanced Job Scheduler
  • From: "Shaw, David" <dshaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 09:42:06 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Parker [mailto:cparker@inghams.com.au]
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2000 6:05 PM
To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com

Hi All,

General question re: Robot Vs IBM Advanced Job Schedular

The company I work for is looking at implementing Robot Schedular, and Robot
Save. We are currently using BRMS and the standard IBM schedular. Not having
seen the IBM Package previously, do you beleive that this is a better
alternative then Robot ?
We are a BPCS house and have been informed that a key advantage of Robot is
that you can record and playback information entered on panels.

------------

Chris,

The Robot learn/playback thing is very nice with packages like BPCS or MAPICS
which have a lot of batch programs that are tough to run if you can't just key
the parameters into the submission screens.  We ran MAPICS where I used to be,
and in that environment I would still probably recommend Robot (I do know how to
submit MAPICS jobs without going through the prompt screens, it's just a pain
every time a new release needs to go in).  Here we run a package called INTEX,
which has simple batch job submissions and doesn't need the learn/playback
feature.  Since BRMS and Advanced Job Scheduler are so much cheaper than
Robot/Save and Robot/Schedule, it just didn't make sense for us to buy Robot and
switch from BRMS to Robot/Save.

Regarding the comment about IBM not having pager software equivalent to
Robot/Alert - that's true, but Bytware sells a very nice pager package
(MessengerPlus) which has predefined setups for BRMS and AJS.  It's also quite a
bit cheaper than Robot/Alert, and Bytware (they're the PeekPLUS people) is a
very responsive vendor when you need support.

Dave Shaw