  • Subject: RE: Search400 blackmail?
  • From: "Stone, Brad V (TC)" <bvstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 14:41:27 -0600

Blackmail?  No... it sounds like what everyone else is doing.  Even
Deja.com.  If you are searching comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc, you get AS/400
banner ads on the page.

Unless they have already sold you a contract to have your banner ads on
specific pages, then I'd say it's a new opportunity.

One could argue, of course, that each new screen that displays search
results is a unique page, therefore they are not obligated to use your
banner on these pages if only specific pages were mentioned in the contract.

Personally, I think banner ads are a waste of time.  Second, Search400's
engine blows.  Search for one word, like IPDS, and you get hundreds of hits,
when only the first couple may relate, and the rest just happen to have
"AS/400" in them.

Save your money.  Advertise where you see the most revenue coming in from.
I would rather buy this type of banner add on Deja.com or the new newsgroup
search engine (the name slips my mind).  No one can match the info provided
at Deja or the Midrange-L archives.

Bradley V. Stone
BVS/Tools - www.bvstools.com
Netshare400 - www.netshare400.com