  • Subject: RE: Heart Warming Advertising(please read)
  • From: Vijosh A <VijoshA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 15:30:23 +0400

Booth's observation and your reply remarks made interesting reading. Let me
jot down few points that come to my mind.

I do not agree with you on the 1(developed countries):24 (Asian countries)
ratio. I have been associated  with the Indian software industry,
specifically the AS400 for many years.  I know  many a companies  who cater
to the needs of companies spread across the globe. And most of the clients
are from USA, Singapore, Europe, Middle East etc.  I myself have worked at
many a client sites across the globe. What I have found is that guys from
the Indian sub continent are good at work and on par with others.

Employee recruitment in our part of the world is a rigorous process. A guy
who gets into the industry has a reasonably good IQ. There is reasonable
amount of technical knowledge too. Rest of the knowledge comes from field
experience.  I do agree that there may be few odd cases who do not perform.
But then we are dealing with human beings and not robots with artificial
intelligence.

Irrespective of geographic locations on the globe, human beings can perform.
If it were not so then we should have had pre-historic (nomadic) life style
in many a parts of the world. It is not so. As you have rightly pointed out,
we too talk of AS400 and participate in these lists. An odd question like -'
How to read a file' may be from a new entrant to the field. But then forums
don't have any bars. The objective is to provide a platform for knowledge
sharing and to popularise a tool which is our bread and butter.

The 1:24 ratio applies as far as payment is concerned. But that is only for
the money part of it and not the technical part. Who is to blame here ??

Do not forget that  guys from developed countries come to our place in
search of consultants. And the numbers of guys who come here are too
many.... They would not have come here if 24 of us were to replace one
person from the  technical perspective. IBM, Microsoft etc. would never come
here for that.

Vijosh A
Senior Consultant
Systems & Software