I'd add a thought here.  You've all seen the protracted discussion on
Scroll Bars for subfiles earlier, right?  I was very excited about them
and their usefulness (still am that matter)  BUT:

I tested, I played, I tried, I used every combination I could think of and
worked through every possible error I could imagine and was very puffed up
about the results.  I installed some examples and was still happy.

Then I went into another client's office and showed the scroll bar; major
disaster.  Their IS Manager changes every user profile to reverse the roll
keys and the scroll bar barfs badly in that circumstance.  A bug, surely,
but whose?  Mine?

Do each of you that claim perfect testing always test every possibility
against every possible user profile choice?  If you don't then you'd have
had the same bug, right?

My only point is that perfection does not happen,in the green screen
world.  Talking about validating for negative numbers is in the same
category as setting error codes for CHAIN opcodes even though we "know"
the record will always be found.  The reason we do  it is because we got
burned once.  It isn't because we are perfect.

Booth Martin
boothm@earth.goddard.edu
http://www.spy.net/~booth

John P Carr <jpcarr@tredegar.com>