  • Subject: Re: Who's going to call Hesheys?
  • From: Chuck Lewis <clewis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 13:17:46 -0800

Another problem (us) I.S. folks can be guilty of is TRULY understanding the
business AND failing to see what a HUGE system change will have on the user
base.
It is SO important when doing a "re-engineering" project like this that teams be
built THROUGHOUT the organization to study how the new software and hardware
will
fit and what business procedures will have to change. Do "conference room
pilots"
as we called them and bring in a representative sample of users from each area
and "run the business" for a week. Do daily orders, manufacturing, inventory,
purchasing, daily processing, etc. That's what we did and you accomplish a
NUMBER
of things. Among them, you lessen the "fear" of changing from "the way we always
"did" things", you get the user base to become involved WITH YOU and you let
THEM
run this process with your help, you identify areas that need more attention,
you
discover missing pieces or problems, staffing and head count issues, etc. And
the
REAL important part of this is you do it BEFORE you go live when pressure is
MUCH
less. Oh, and if you are a manufacturer, let customers KNOW what you are doing
AND build inventories !!!

IMHO,

Chuck