  • Subject: Re: AS400 and ODBC
  • From: "Vuong Nguyen" <vuongn1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:46:56 PDT

Eric, I am very grateful for your concern, patience, understanding, times
and especially your help.

The AS/400 file which I was trying to access through ODBC has a little over
600,000 records.  I used ODBC direct link to the file.  I used MS Access
queries to filter certain data I need.  One of the filter was job number.
If I used small job ranges in my queries, the retrieving process from AS/400
to PC took less than 5 minutes, BUT...when I increase the job ranges, almost
all jobs, it tooks quite a while.

I have notice something:

During regular working hours, on this large job ranges, the querie kepts
running and running without any end.  But when I run this thing again after
hours, when no one around and no user accessing the AS/400, it's done in
less than 10 minutes.  Would it be that I used too much of AS/400 CPU to do
my thing?  When I run the WRKSYSACT command, I see the numbers in USER,
assuming it means me, fluctuated around 40%.

Eric, I don't have any order by on my ODBC request.  I just retrieve the
data by certain criterias and dump it in an MS Access temp table and work
the data from there.

Also, would it possible to pause other users whose want to access this file
until I am done with what I want to do in the AS/400?  Another word, make
the AS/400 file temporarily exclusive to me and put on hold any requests
from other users.

Please advise.

Thanks again for all your help.  Vuong.