Subject: Re: AS400 and ODBC
Author:  <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com> at INET_WACO
Date:    10/7/99 3:29 PM

Rob, thank you for the reply, and my response is below the question ask:

>The usual question is 'What has changed?'
>From what volume did the data from FROM into what volume is the data NOW?
What I mean is another week of information is add to the previous week.

>Have you put anything new on your 400 like an OS upgrade or PTF's?
I really don't know because there is another girl whose more involve with
the AS/400 then I am.  I have not heard she says anything yet.  Last time, I
recall, she works on the upgrade and PTFs for several days.  If she did put
new stuff, she already raise her voices.

>Are you running other jobs during this same time period?
I am not sure what you're asking. Running other jobs using the same files or
running jobs concurrent with the job I am running?  In the past, every
Thursday morning, I do what I do without any problems, but today, everything
went wrong.

>Is there an object lock on the data that is holding the file?  WRKOBJLCK
>and F4 to prompt.  You might have to use F6 for member locks.
This is the exact thought that girl have in mind.  She kepts on saying that
there is something wrong with my PC ODBC stuff.  I test my ODBC on a similar
database to open one of the AS/400 file and it works fine.  The girl looks
into AS/400 and found there is 60% CPU used and no one is using it.  She
re-IPL the AS/400.  I try it again and this time it works.  I try it a 2nd
time, it gives me the same  problems again.

Rob, I went in WRKOBJLCK and F4 to prompt like you said but then I am stuck,
sorry to disappoint you, I don't know what to do or where to go from there.

But, thank you for the thoughts and apologize for bugging the list with my
newbie questions and problems.

Regards to all, Vuong.

p.s. Regarding another reply to my question, asking me to try his new
product.  Thank you for the offer, I am still struggling try to learn all
the tools that come with what I do; therefore, I don't think it's the right
time for me to bug the boss to try new tool yet, but thank you for the
thought.  The ODBC I used is somewhat slow, but I plan to use OLE DB or
maybe ADO in the near future to get data out of the AS/400.