  • Subject: RE: Word to HTML
  • From: boldt@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 14:31:55 -0400

boothm wrote:
>Arrrrgggghhhhh!  Please!!!!  NO NO No no....
>
>Which size screen should he save for?  14"? 17"? 19"
>
>I have a 56k modem.  If he scans his page as an image and posts it I will
>never wait around while it downloads.  I'll just pop over to his
>competitor's site.  Besides, he can't add in stuff like an e-mail response
>icon.
>
>But if you do decide to do that anyway, please save it with progressive
>competitor's site.

;-)

Perhaps I should have added a smiley to my suggestion to
scan and post the resulting GIF?

The point is that, unlike MS-Word format, HTML is not
wussi-wyg.  Any attempt to make a doc look perfect using
one particular browser may cause problems when viewing
from another.  HTML markup describes the structure of a
document and not its appearance.  Understanding the
difference is the key to proper HTML coding.

(BTW, sometimes GIF isn't a bad choice for large monochrome
images.  It will provide a sharper image than JPEG, and can
be compressed down to a reasonable size.)

Cheers!  Hans

Hans Boldt, ILE RPG Development, IBM Toronto Lab, boldt@ca.ibm.com