  • Subject: Re: Hardware requirements for V4R4
  • From: dhandy@xxxxxxxxxxx (Douglas Handy)
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 23:25:24 -0400

John,

>Assuming I can find these memory cards at anything near the price you
>mentioned as opposed to the $640.00 quote I have received, can I just pop
>these in like pc memory?

Yes.  It is easy to install yourself and is very much like PC memory
sockets.

Just power off, open the cover and insert the pair into the remaining
memory slots.  There will probably be blank filler boards in the slots
(or at least there were on mine).  IPL will auto-detect it, but you
may want to play with the memory pool sizes yourself or just let the
auto-tune do it for you.

The only tricky thing to adding memory is choosing the right slots
when you have several empty slots available, since they need to be
paired correctly.  But since you are filling all remaining slots that
will not be an issue for you.

I believe that $640 is the current list price, and you should be able
to beat that easily from nearly any broker.

Doug