  • Subject: Re: Hardware requirements for V4R4
  • From: dhandy@xxxxxxxxxxx (Douglas Handy)
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 00:12:55 -0400

John,

>I heard that IBM is recommending a mimimum of 256mb of memory to run v4r4.
>Is this so?

I know with Logical Partitioning they say the minimum is 256MB for the
primary partition and 64MB for every secondary partition.  But you
can't partition your 2030 anyway, since it only has one processor.

Without using Logical Partitioning, V4R4 requires a minimum of 64MB
main storage, and 1.6GB of disk for OS/400 and licensed internal code.

>I have a 9404-400 2130 processor with 96mb of memory.

The 400-2130 is a 9402, not a 9404, but it does max out at 160MB.  The
other 400-213x models can take up to 224MB.

To get from 96MB to 160MB, you need to add one more feature #3110,
which is a pair of 32MB memory cards.  I bought a pair from a broker
in June for $450, but the price has probably dropped some since then.

Doug