  • Subject: V4R4 Upgrade Problem/Question
  • From: Larry Bolhuis <lbolhui@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 07:24:24 -0400

Greetings,

 Over the weekend one of my customers made the move to V4R4 on their
Model 500.  After the PTF CUM apply the system came up with A900 2000
on the panel (Can't find the console).   The console device and all
devices on CTL01 were not functioning.  They called support (starting
with hardware ending up with $upportline) and over a lot of hours IBM
decided to replace CTL01 but this did not help.  Their final
suggestion: Repload the system starting with SLIC. (Thanks
'microsoft')

 Finally yesterday afternoon the customer called me (shame on them for
waiting so ong!) and I observed the following: There was no QCTL
controller or QCONSOLE device, but all other local and remote
controllers were up and working normally.  CTL01 was varried off and a
message in QSYSOPR said it could not be varied on because QCTL (which
does not exist) was varied on.  So I varied it on manually and the
workstations came up. (Still A900 2000 on the panel) Printers were not
working on CTL01, they would vary on and start writers but spooled
files were all held by the writer immediately.  My somewhat simpler
solution was to RTVCFGSRC on CTL01, copy all the spooled files from
*OUTQs associated with printers on CTL01, delete CTL01 and all
associated devices, rebuild it from the retrieved source, IPL.  All
better now. (Even QCTL and QCONSOLE now exist!)

 Is is too much to ask that $upportline and IBM-SERVE would have tried
this simple solution before recommending a scratch reload???

 I will wait for some learned opinions before I call some people and
give them MY opinion on the matter.

 Thanks - Larry

--
Larry Bolhuis         | What do You want to Reload today?
Arbor Solutions, Inc  |  (Hint: It's NOT MY AS/400!!!)