  • Subject: Re: y2k
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 07:08:07 -0700

Hmm... We had a disk crash on a F45 about 3 years ago.  Disk crashed at
2:00 pm, new disk was in at 10:00 p.m. and by 2:00 pm the next day it was
up.  So... 16 hours to restore from 8mm tape (two restores to handle logicals),
plus one restore of the SYS from a Reel to Reel.

This was about 6.5 gb of data.

To back up this data would take about 4 hours every night which was an entire
system save.

I could of cut that 16 hours down by not having to restore the SYS from Reel to
Reel, but the first tape I tried to restore from was BAD and I couldn't figure
that
out until I got the system up and running.  Figured it wouldn't load from the
8mm
so
try the Reel to Reel (I had the foresight of backing up *SYS to Reel to Reel,
since
Reel to Reel was our secondary IPL device).  So, figure maybe 10 hours for 2
restores (restore once for all physicals, second time for any logicals that
didn't
take the first time).

Now, everything depends on:
1.  How fast is your backup media?
2.  How big is your backup media?  That is, do you have to keep swapping tapes
or does it all fit on one?
3.  How much DASD do you have to restore?  Like I said, we were saving about
6.5 gb, gas mileage may vary depending on driving habits.

Hope this gives you some indication,

Regards,

Jim Langston.