  • Subject: RE: TCP/IP printers
  • From: "S.A. Centea" <acentea@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 11:48:40 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Kellems, Cary" <cary.kellems@nissan-usa.com>
wrote:
> Your correct, they are created as remote outq's via
> the CRTOUTQ command.
> Have you encountered the problem I've mentioned?
> Bill Paris mentioned that
> there was some timeout value that could be
> incremented, does anybody have an
> idea where I could check or what I could experiment
> with?
______________________________________

This is an old problem.

I also posted it 2 months ago. Had some answers, still
not yet the definite result to cover everything so 'I
have to live' with some fails per week.

We have multiple networked AS/400's, RS6000 and dozens
of servers in our WAN. More than 150 network printers
(HP, Lexmark) are connected in *IP with everything,
AS/400 included, and serve hundreds of employes.
Connection is Ethernet 10/100, remote is via ISDN and
F/R.

So lots of different streams are dumped on a certain
printer, from the servers, NT clients, from multiple
AS/400 queues or from the RS6000 systems.

On the AS I tried both methods : IP remote OUTQ and IP
printer devices.

I favor now the remote OUTQs. They became stable when
we upgraded the memory on the printers (the average is
40Mb). They ask minimal control - only to have them
autostarted. No messages to QSYSOPR, no form change
replies, no device status check, and so on.

There's one problem pending - adjusting the size of
the printout. Several options have been posted on the
list the last weeks, about workstation customizing
objects (WSCST) and how to hook them to the printer.

Still, other situations request IP printer devices (by
ex. you cannot have *IPDS OUTQs). They pretend more
control. They often drop the link, specially remote
ones when the line is busy. Adjusting INACTTMR at
*SEC15 somewhat improved but didn't cure the disease.
I don't have a final solution. Everybody (IBM and
printer manufacturers) blames the network settings,
because the LAN ones drop less frequently than the WAN
ones.

I didn't find any linked PTF. We're on V4R3.

Try searching on the list's archive, lots of similar
issues have been risen, you might find your point
there ...

HTH

===
Andrei Centea