Kirk,

    In order to restore files from a true System/36 tape, you need to
use the RSTS36F command.  Even in the S/36 environment, SAVE and
RESTORE use OS/400 save format files.

    If you are using DSPTAP (without *SAVRST) to look at the save tape
and you can't read it, then you have another problem altogether.  You
should at least be seeing the labels.  Verify that your AS/400 tape
drive can read the tape density that being used for the save tape.

    The advantage of using a S/36 machine is that you are object-level
compatible with a real S/36, and it is very fast.  The downside is
that to access S/36 files from OS/400, you have to use file transfer
or DDM, since the S/36 appears to OS/400 as a completely separate
machine.

    The advantage of using the S/36E is file access (see above), and
you can begin to mix in native OS/400 commands and programs into your
System/36 job streams.  The downside is that it is slow, and has many
"gotchas" (like the SAVE/RESTORE thing).

    Regards,

    - Lou Forlini
      Software Engineer
      System Support Products, Inc.