Kirk,

>We tried a save of a file from the 6000 to a 1/4" cart using the emulation sw.
>Looked like it did it, a "CATALOG" from the 6000 says it did it, but the 400
>dies on the label in both s36 and 400 sessions(I was afraid of that...)

In the S36EE, the SAVE/RESTORE commands do not create tape files which
are compatible with the S/36 itself.  They do work for SAVE/RESTORE
within the environment (i.e., if SAVEd from the S36EE, you can RESTORE
to the S36EE).

Try the RSTS36F, RSTS36FLR and RSTS36LIBM commands to restore from
tapes made on a S/36.  Hopefully it will also work with the Universal
Software emulation.  Conversely, use SAVS36xxx to move the other
direction.

>#1 Any know anything about this emulation sw ??

No experience with it, but if memory serves me correctly, they
provided a SSP emulation that let you port S/36 object modules, not
just migrate and recompile source.

This made moving from a real S/36 easier, particularly if you didn't
have source or used assembler subroutines, etc.  And it let you bring
over WSU programs, etc, which are not supported by the S36EE.

But I could be wrong -- that is just my recollection from about 10
years ago when they advertised heavily.

>#2 What about FTPing everything across?? I seem to remembering problems with
>certain data types??

For data files, you may have to use BINary image.  Assuming that the
sw still stores the files in EBCDIC (not native to the RS/6000, but
then neither are S/36 load modules...).

Load/subroutine members would be useless to FTP, even in binary, if
you were moving to the S36EE.  If moving to a *M36 machine, then try
moving them in binary.  It may be necessary to create a $MAINT
sector-mode file with the library members, then FTP that (in binary)
and TOLIBR the result.

>#3 There's some missing source(of course) what's a good de-compiler ??

I don't know -- try the back of News or MC magazine, etc

>#4 I haven't done one of these in years What's the gotchas ??

It depends on whether you go to S36EE or *M36.

>#5 How much recompiling ??

For the S36EE, all HLL programs must be recompiled.  DFU programs must
be converted (the migration aid does this).  WSU programs are not
supported.

Even with the source, there can be problems.  Especially if they used
non-IBM assembler subroutines.  Or third-party RPG extensions like RPG
II 1/2 or whatever.

If moving to *M36, in theory there is no recompiling when coming from
a real S/36.  If the Universal Software emulation also uses actual
S/36 object code (as I think it does), then in theory this will work
too.

>#6 Is there an advantage to setting up a S36 machine vs just strs36
>environment?

Setting up a*MS36 machine in essence gives you an overgrown S36.  You
are running SSP itself.  Instead of recompiling code into AS/400
program templates, the S/36 machine code itself is processed.

If you are missing source, or use WSU, assembler routines, RPG II 1/2
or ANSA extensions, etc, this may be a very big advantage.