  • Subject: Re: Blobs - Was - Floating Point Question
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 17:34:56 -0500

I went SQL gung ho for awhile for creating files.  There are still
somethings easier to do with DDS.  Like have a single file be a
combination of an INDEX and a VIEW.

rbruceh@ibm.net on 08/16/99 04:18:16 PM
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet
To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet
cc:
Fax to:

"Al Barsa, Jr." wrote:
> > >What are blobs?
> Binary Large OBjectS.  (otherwise known as support for fat people)

That should actually read LOB, large object support. Character large
objects (greater than 256 characters) can be supported.

> As I understand it, it will allow you to put a .JPG into a database
> record.  This would allow you to put a photo into a personnel record.  I
> suspect that it will not be well embraced, as there is no DDS support for
> this stuff.  It can only be created in SQL, which IMHO is a more widely
> used interface (on every platform in the world, but not the AS/400) and an
> inferior interface for creating databases to DDS.

I have to disagree with the inferior interface comment. Most DBA's
outside of AS/400 can easily script a database creation. In addition,
tools like ERWin allow for the generation of SQL create statements for
all aspects of the database (tables, indexes, views, triggers, stored
procedures, etc) and can be easily manipulated, compared and
re-generated automatically. DDS does not do that.

As for those "roughing it", you can still script the creates and execute
them thru SQL with a command. So, just like DDS, you can create the
source, "compile" the objects and then launch into your coding.

> Databases saved with this stuff may not be able to restore to other systems
> at V4R4M0, unless these systems also have these PTFs.  This is the first
> time ever that IBM has ever been this careless.

Now this, I can not disagree with, it should have been a dot release.
The dot appeared for 2.1.1 and was also a compatibility issue. (Big SID,
little SID). This is just a ploy for those shops that said "no release
updates during our Y2K projects".