  • Subject: RE: ILE RPG SOCKET PROTOTYPES
  • From: Tim McCarthy <TimM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 15:39:13 -0400

I can't answer your prototype question but I can offer a little advice
regarding the "send an entire file with one API call". I've seen a
number of socket utilities that enable you to send a file in one shot.
What they do is simply open a port, start sending the file and then shut
the port. DON'T DO THIS. In a TCP connection (obviously UDP is
different), design a transfer to be conversational - don't squirt data
at a remote and assume it got there. Just because your program thinks
it's successfully opened a port doesn't mean you're connected to the
remote application - firewalls, proxy servers etc will acknowledge a
port open request even though you're not connected to the intended
destination. Data squirted at this port may be lost if the connection is
never established and you may never know. When you open a port on a
remote, wait for some form of acknowledgement before continuing. After
sending a file, wait for a response to indicate receipt before you
decide everything's ok.

TrailBlazer Systems, Inc.
http://www.softwarejungle.com
AS/400 E-Commerce Solutions

Chaos, panic, & disorder - my work here is done.