  • Subject: Re: state of the midrange (fwd)
  • From: Larry Bolhuis <lbolhui@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 15:17:12 -0400

John,

> Yes.  Make the question - What is on the third line columns 11-20 of the
> spool file created on 03/17/99 on outq QTESTUSR.
>
>  fill in the blank _______________   or multiple choice if you don't
> want to make it too hard.

  The limitations of the test engine require multiple choice.
Remember that IBM doesn't administer the taking of the tests, Sylvon
does.  There are certainly times when fill in the blank would be nice
to have but.....

> Give the test on an AS400.  If you can get to the answer you know your
> stuff.  Menu, Cmd line or otherwise.
>
> Make the questions very specific and difficult but give the person
> taking the test full access to the AS400 cmd line & help.

  Unfortunately the tests are not administered at sites where AS/400's
are available, precluding this option.  If ALL the tests had a
requirement for AS/400 access then a stronger case could be made to
provide it. So far the administration and operator tests are the only
ones that I've seen which would benefit strongly.

> Set a reasonable time constraint so that the testee must have a good
> knowledge of the system.

  This is already done.

> How many times have we seen on this list "I'm not at a terminal right
> now but ..." ?
>
> Making the test live will make it much more accurate.

  Can't disagree but we have to make it happen without worldwide
deployment of AS/400's to the test centers. Won't happen.

  - Larry

--
Larry Bolhuis         | Trivia Question: What famous car carried
Arbor Solutions, Inc  |  the tags:   BDR 529 ?