  • Subject: Re: Equipment question
  • From: "Neil Palmer" <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 17:57:19 -0400

Load source drive (1) is where microcode, boot code, etc. go (and
originally system dump space - until the memory capacities started growing
larger than some disk drives) so now system data will spread over to other
drives.
If the first drive was large enough it was not "reserved" for system usage
- user data can also reside there.
You could easily have more than 1.9GB "system" data on V4 releases, so
you're seeing that first drive full.
You didn't show a display after a minute or so on a busy period (elapsed
time was 00:00) so can't see what & Busy you're experiencing.  You could
slap a couple of used 6606's in base system (mirrored) fairly cheaply - to
reduce the load on the unit 1 pair - but whether or not you need to depends
on how busy they are.

One drive being full isn't really a concern (unless it's a separate ASP).
The 400 will happily manage things (issuing warnings every hour if you
exceed the ASP threshold percentage set in SST) until the total usage hits
99.9999% - then it will IPL.  With newer releases you can set your own
thresholds & actions for disk filling up via the QSTGLOWACN & QSTGLOWLMT
system values.

Neil Palmer         DPS Data Processing Services Canada Ltd.
                                             AS/400~~~~~
Markham,  Ontario,   Canada    ___________          ___  ~
Phone: (905) 474-4890  x303   |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
Fax:   (905) 474-4898          oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
mailto:NeilP@DPSlink.com    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.DPSlink.com        AS/400  The Ultimate Business Server

Dennis Munro <DMunro@badgerminingcorp.com> on 99-08-04 11:03:33

Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com