  • Subject: Re: Break Messages
  • From: "Dan Bale" <dbale@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:14:53 -0400

Neil,

Oh @#^%$!  Well, it worked in _my_ version (the one that used RPGLE to call
QEZSNDMG); it just truncated everything after 494 characters.  Still beats 120!

O.K. then, just change the 120 to 494 and the X'00000078' to X'000001EE'.  I
tested it; it works!  So there!  ;-)

I also remembered why I did this with an RPGLE program.  I had planned to add
parameters that would allow the break message to be sent at a specified date &
time (then I'd jobq the thing); useful as a reminder system to myself.  I think
I dropped the idea after they finally got around to installing Lotus Notes on my
desktop.

Also, found the documentation for QEZSNDMG.  Sheesh, you can just call the
program without any parameters and it'll pop up the operational assistant screen
for sending a break message to multiple users.  It's a little klutzy to use,
though; you have to specify whether it's *INQ or *INFO and whether to "interrupt
user" ("break" or not), and you have to press F10 to send the dang thing and
then F3 to exit.  Good grief!  Maybe _that_ was why I did the RPGLE program.
:-)

- Dan Bale

>>I changed your message text parameter from a length of 120 to 512.  Also had
to change the "message text length" parameter from X'00000078' to X'00000200'.<<