I believe you're thinking of the QCMNGETL program, available through these
PTF's (and they have FINALLY put it in base OS/400 for V4R4, after
requiring you to order a PTF ever since V2R1):

http://as400service.rochester.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.nsf/c439b08a6a6b1242862
565d8007695bf/6234143b5a0a8704862565c2007d2893?OpenDocument&Highlight=2,QCM
NGETL

IBM AS/400 Support Line Technical Document
Document Number: 9700631
Functional Area:
                 Operating System
Subfunctional Area:
                 Work Management
Sub-Subfunctional Area:
                 General

Product:
             OS/400 WORK MGMT (5716SS1WM)
             OS/400 WORK MGMT (5763SS1WM)

Release:
             ALL

Document Title: Releasing a Locked Device

Document Description:

For Release Levels up to R430

(For later releases, see For Release Levels R440 and Later below.)

Occasionally, a device cannot be varied off because of a lock on the object
 for the device description (object type
*DEVD). When this happens, running the WRKACTJOB command usually shows no
active job using that device
and WRKCFGSTS for the device may show the device as ACTIVE with no job for
the device. If this is the case,
then the device lock is usually held by the QSYSARB system job. This can be
 ascertained by using the
WRKOBJLCK command. Specify the device name as the object name, QSYS as the
library, and *DEVD as the
object type. In this case, QSYSARB is shown as holding a lock on the device
 description.

To release such a lock so that the device can be varied off, the lock
buster tool can be used. This tool is the callable
program QCMNGETL. The tool program can be electronically downloaded as a
PTF. The name of the PTF and
its product for each related release level is given below:

R230 - SA32770 - 5738SS1
R305 - SA32826 - 5763SS1
R310 - SA39587 - 5763SS1
R320 - SA56482 - 5763SS1
R360 - SA47597- 5716SS1
R370 - SA58912 - 5716SS1
R410 - SA66076 - 5769SS1
R420 - SA70781 - 5769SS1
R430 - SA76901 - 5769SS1

The PTF should be loaded and applied temporarily after it has been
downloaded on the AS/400 system. The name
of the APAR for each of the above PTFs is the same as the PTF name. To use
the tool, on the OS/400 command
line type the following:

CALL QCMNGETL devname

where devname is the name of the device description. If the tool succeeds
in obtaining the lock away from
QSYSARB, you can vary off the device. To vary off the device you can sign
off from the session from which you
entered the CALL QCMNGETL command to release the lock and then can sign
back on and enter the VRYCFG
command to vary the device first off and then back on. Read the cover
letter provided with the PTF for additional
information.

There can be other scenarios for which this lock buster tool can succeed in
 freeing up a device lock. If the lock is
held by a subsystem monitor job, the lock buster should be able to free the
 lock. If the lock is held by a user job,
(an interactive job or a related communication job), the lock buster is not
 able to free the lock. In this case, the job
holding the lock must be ended to free the lock. Another scenario where
this does not work is when the lock is held
by system process QLUS. In this case, an IPL is required to release the
lock.

An IPL necessarily frees all locks as all locking information is cleared
when the system does a powerdown.

For Release Level R440 and Later

The lock buster tool is not needed at release level V4R4M0 and later.
Rather, the VRYCFG command can be used
to effect the unlock of the device. This command has a new option for the
Forced vary off (FRCVRYOFF)
parameter which was added at R440. This new option value is *LOCK. The help
 text for the FRCVRYOFF
command is:

                                  Forced vary off (FRCVRYOFF) - Help

 Specifies whether inquiry messages for active jobs will be issued.  This
parameter is not
 allowed when STATUS(*ON) is specified.

 The possible values are:

 *NO:  Inquiry messages for active jobs will be issued.

 *YES:  Inquiry messages for active jobs will not be issued and the jobs
will be ended.

 *LOCK:  For devices other than APPC and Intra, an attempt will be made to
get a lock on the
 device description no matter what its current status might be.  If the
lock is successfully
 obtained, it will be transferred to the system job assigned to hold the
device description
 lock when the device is in a varied off state.  If the device is in a
state other than
 varied off, an attempt to vary off the device description will also be
made.

At R440 and later, the system job that the lock is transferred to is
QCMNARBxx. This is changed from the
QSYSARB job to reduce the processing load on the system.

The appropriate action to release one of these locks is to issue the VRYCFG
 command with the
FRCVRYOFF(*LOCK) parameter specified. User's should use FRCVRYOFF(*LOCK)
only if it is truly needed to
resolve a locking problem. It should not be specified all the time since it
 causes additional work for all the subsystem
jobs.

Additional Information:
1    To determine whether or not the appropriate lock buster PTF is on your
 system, on the OS/400 command line
    type the following:

    DSPPTF LICPGM(product) SELECT(ptfname)

    where product is the product and ptfname is the PTF given in the list
above for your system release level.
    Press the Enter key.

2    To order the PTF, on the OS/400 command line type the following:

    SNDPTFORD PTFID((ptfname)) PTFPART(*ALL)

    where ptfname is the PTF given in the list above for your system
release level. Press the Enter key.

3    To load the PTF, on the OS/400 command line type the following:

    LODPTF LICPGM(product) SELECT(ptfname)

    where product is the product and ptfname is the PTF given in the list
above for your system release level.
    Press the Enter key.

4    To apply the PTF, on the OS/400 command line type the following:

    APYPTF LICPGM(product) SELECT(ptfname) APY(*TEMP)

    where product is the product and ptfname is the PTF given in the list
above for your system release level.
    Press the Enter key.

Neil Palmer         DPS Data Processing Services Canada Ltd.
                                             AS/400~~~~~
Markham,  Ontario,   Canada    ___________          ___  ~
Phone: (905) 474-4890  x303   |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
Fax:   (905) 474-4898          oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
mailto:NeilP@DPSlink.com    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.DPSlink.com        AS/400  The Ultimate Business Server

Jerome Draper <jdraper@wco.com> on 99-07-27 14:13:42

Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com