  • Subject: RE: Age discrimination
  • From: Robert Kraai <robert@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 15:22:41 -0500

I've been on the AS/400 for nearly 2 years.  I am the youngest person in
the department.  I was 29 when I became the IS director here.  My
predecessor was 55 and had been working with AS/400s and S36s and who knows
what since the early 70s.  His age had nothing to do with his replacement.
 I have heard that he had a lack of vision, and was unwilling to seek and
implement any new technology, or take a leadership role in solving the IS
problems.  He worked himself and his skills into a position where the
company could no longer be happy and then he resigned after 25 years.  The
lesson I got was that over the next 26 years, I need to stay current or I
will be in the same position.

I do not have a college degree, and that has limited my ability to take
just any job.  I have to hunt for them, and demonstrate what I can do for
the company before I can take positions that someone with less experience
and a college degree could just walk into.  I came here and took a huge
salary cut to get the job, and since then have almost doubled my starting
salary based on performance.

I do not believe that my age was or is still or will be an issue.  In fact
I think they were subsequently surprised that I was not yet 30.   I think
it was the vast amount of experience and my technical ability that got me
here as an IS director.  Perhaps it was my confidence and ability to
motivate the team.  Perhaps it was the fact that I traded salary for a
trial period...  Whatever, It is possible to be good at something or better
than other candidates with more experience and still be 29 years old.  It
is also possible to sacrifice to make your point and reap the benefits
after they get it.

On the other side of things: when hiring, I don't care how old or young a
candidate is.  I don't care if they have a college degree, or if they have
been working with computers since they were 10 years old as I have.  I want
to see what that candidate can do with the knowledge and experience they
have.  A candidate may have 30 years of experience, and still not be able
to complete a project.  A candidate may be the best technical resource in
the world with 30 years of experience in everything, but have a personality
that won't work with the team.  A candidate may be my best friend and have
all the training a product of our university system can have, but still
have rocks in his head in place of talent.
---Bob