  • Subject: RE: Optical Storage
  • From: Alan Schuetze <aschuetze@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 08:42:07 -0700

"Ethical Warning" I work for an imaging company and we resell many IBM
3995s.

Mary,
Although you will not get the access speed of DASD Optical storage is a good
and cost effect way of storing large amounts of data online.  Regarding
performance, if you go with a direct attached (C40 models) the Magnetic
Media controller #6534 or the Removal Media Attachment #2621 have
coprocessors that compensate for the performance hit.  LAN attached units
(C20s) are generally slower but you have the option of different platforms
accessing them.  Although the C20s can use either 10/100 Ethernet or
Token-Ring a 16MB Tokin-Ring will give you the best performance.
You will get faster access times with a direct attached unit.

If you go with direct attached you can only format the platters as WORM, but
with the LAN attached you can go either WORM or rewriteable.  I've been told
that this will be changing in future OS versions.

A word about WORM versus CCW (Continuous Composite WORM)

True WORM is permanent in that the data is physically burned (ablated) in
the media and cannot be changed. On the other hand the CCW technology is
using rewriteable MO platters and the software provides the unalterablility.
Most courts and judges do not recognize CCW stored images as admissible
proof in a court of law since the data can technically be altered.

Regards,

Alan Schuetze

Magellan Software
The Leader In Document Mining Technology*
Tel: 949-455-9551  Fax: 949-455-9664
www.magsoft.com <http://www.magsoft.com>