  • Subject: Re: A short program
  • From: boldt@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:40:36 -0400

Dave wrote:
>Unfortunately you were the only one clever/academic enough to grasp the
>true spirit of the challenge, including the task setter. :-)

Clever has nothing to do with it!

>As for the RPG only version (without reading input files) I can beat your
>29 records by 6.

I don't mean to nitpick, but you've beaten my 29 line program
by only 5 lines.  This is a 24 line program since the blank
line at the end of the program is significant.  (Your program
writes 2 times 12 records.)

>     FQSYSPRT O   F      80            PRINTER
>     E                    @LN     1  12 80
>     C                     MOVEL'**'      @LN,12
>     C                     DO   2
>     C                     DO   12        IX      30
>     C                     EXCPT
>     C                     ENDDO
>     C                     MOVE *BLANK    @LN,12         LR
>     C                     ENDDO
>     OQSYSPRT E
>     O                         @LN,IX    80
>**
>     FQSYSPRT O   F      80            PRINTER
>     E                    @LN     1  12 80
>     C                     MOVEL'**'      @LN,12
>     C                     DO   2
>     C                     DO   12        IX      30
>     C                     EXCPT
>     C                     ENDDO
>     C                     MOVE *BLANK    @LN,12         LR
>     C                     ENDDO
>     OQSYSPRT E
>     O                         @LN,IX    80
>
>Any advances?

Well, I've wasted enough time this morning, but I did manage
to shave it down to 23 lines using ILE RPG V4R4.  (But maybe
that's cheating since V4R4 hasn't GA'ed yet!)

     FQSYSPRT   O    F   80        PRINTER
     D @LN             S             80    DIM(12) CTDATA PERRCD(1)
     C                   EVAL      @LN(12) = '**'
     C                   FOR       PAGE1 = 12 DOWNTO 11
     C                   FOR       PAGE = 1 TO PAGE1
     C                   EXCEPT
     C                   ENDFOR
     C                   ENDFOR
     C                   EVAL      *INLR = *ON
     OQSYSPRT   E
     O                       @LN(PAGE)           80
**
     FQSYSPRT   O    F   80        PRINTER
     D @LN             S             80    DIM(12) CTDATA PERRCD(1)
     C                   EVAL      @LN(12) = '**'
     C                   FOR       PAGE1 = 12 DOWNTO 11
     C                   FOR       PAGE = 1 TO PAGE1
     C                   EXCEPT
     C                   ENDFOR
     C                   ENDFOR
     C                   EVAL      *INLR = *ON
     OQSYSPRT   E
     O                       @LN(PAGE)           80

Cheers!  Hans

Hans Boldt, ILE RPG Development, IBM Toronto Lab, boldt@ca.ibm.com