  • Subject: RE: RPG Cycle (was Reinventing Code)
  • From: Joel Fritz <JFritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 08:42:03 -0700

Gee, this is starting to approach religious proportions.  I have been
programming in RPG for 6 years.  I learned RPG on the job with the help of
my co-workers.  At the time I started, my employer had 2 cycle programs in
production.  (This is a shop that moved from a system 38 to a 400 in the
'80s and has some programs in production that are over 10 years old.) I
never had a need to learn the cycle because there was nothing for me to
practice on. My previous background was taking programming courses at my
local junior college which meant mostly C and PASCAL.

I'd learn the cycle if I had to.  Never having used it, I really don't miss
its benefits.  I don't feel like a hacker/cowboy.  I write programs based
what I have learned in school and on the job.  I don't think use of the
cycle is a sign of moral degeneracy.

BTW, from what I've seen of the cycle, it doesn't seem simple to me.  I
think it's mostly a matter of experience, but I am the one who wrote linear
searches for six months because I couldn't remember which indicator went
where on LOKUP.  (It's only 3 or 4 lines of code.)

The above is my personal opinion and is not intended to represent good
programming practice or the product of a sound mind.

Joel Fritz