This is how to start Netserver from an IPL:

Remove the autostart job entry from the QSERVER subsystem for job
QZLSSERVER with
  RMVAJE  SBSD(QSYS/QSERVER)  JOB(QZLSSERVER)

(This prevents the autostart job from trying to start Netserver before
TCP/IP is up.  Typically, the start of sbs QSERVER happens before STRTCP).

Add into the startup pgm, (in our case it is QSTRUP in QGPL), after the
STRTCP command, add the following statements.

/* START NETSERVER */
             CALL       PGM(QZLSENDS) PARM(X'00000000')
             DLYJOB     DLY(30)
             CALL       PGM(QZLSSTRS) PARM('0' X'00000000')

or you can put these statements into a seperate pgm, named for example
STRNETSVR, and just put a call to STRNETSVR from the startup pgm.

The program QZLSENDS ensures Netserver is shut down properly before
attempting to start it.  I'm not sure of the absolute requirement for this,
but I figured it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Regards

Neil

At 04:26 PM 3/19/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I have STRSBS  QSERVER and STRTCP in my startup job.  Still, NetServer was
not started.  I'll try adding the CALL below to my
>startup program and see if that works.  Judging by the fact that it should
have started I should probably put an automatic
>check in there to assure that it does with the additional CALL.
>

>CALL QZLSSTRS PARM ('0' x'00000000')
>Start NetServer. See the QZLSSERVER job under the QSERVER subsystem. The
QZLSSERVER is automatically started every time the QSERVER subsystem is
started.

>'0' - Reset (0 indicated no reset)
>x'00000000' - used in lieu of error code structure
>

>bdietz@3x.com on 03/18/99 10:04:24 PM
>Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet
>To:    MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet
>cc:
>
>Subject:       Re: NetServer: How to autostart
>

>The best way I have found to "get it started" after an IPL is to change you
>startup program.  Since the NetServer runs in QSERVER
>subsystem and is dependant on TCP/IP services put you STRTCP before the
>QSERVER subsystem start.
>Some more info can be found here-->
>http://www.as400.ibm.com/netserver/apiminiguide.htm
>

>Bryan Dietz
>3X Corp.

>Rob Berendt <rob@dekko.com> on 03/18/99 12:31:08 PM
>
>Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
>

> To:      MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
>
> cc:      (bcc: Bryan Dietz/Columbus/3X Corp)
>

> Subject: NetServer: How to autostart
>

>How do I get NetServer to autostart?  I don't want to have to click on
>icons just because I ipl'ed my 400.
>+---
>| To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
>| To unsubscribe from this list send email to
>MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
>| Questions should be directed to the list owner/operator:
>david@midrange.com
>+---

Neil Clark
Barsa Consulting, LLC
Tel: (914) 251-9400  Fax: (914) 251-9406

http://www.barsaconsulting.com