  • Subject: Re: AS/400 & Native Zip Eng
  • From: "Bruce Odum" <bodum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 23:44:46 -0500

No I am not putting my programs in qsys. I just would like to see some basic
utilities that are ported to the as/400 operating system that are in the PC
world that don't cost us thousands of dollars.  We have a web site that we
build reports for out customers and send these reports to the ifs web
directory.  It would be nice to compress these files using native CL
programs and then send them to this folder.  I looked at this program before
and at that time it would not compress files on the ifs from the native
operating system.  Even if it did the cost is way to high.  It is hard to
tell the CFO after you spend a half a million dollars on a computer system
that you have to have pay 4 times over or even higher for software that runs
on other platform.  In my opinion this is what kills the 400 market.  Take a
look at datamirror for one. Compare the cost of the product for a other
databases or just NT then look at the cost for the product on the AS400 it
is a joke.  This goes back to the simple task of compressing a file.  My
choices are to pay a hi price for software or buy a P.C. dedicate it to
client access have a job run on the 400 that will trigger it to compress the
files on the 400 for distribution.  This is way over complicated and now I
have to justify another machine.  Some times the little things are what
counts.