  • Subject: RE: New AS/400 in 2000?
  • From: Cyndi Bradberry <CyndiB@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 14:48:58 -0700

In the January 1999 issue of Midrange Computing's AS/400 Technology Showcase
on page 66 is the following article:
Begin Quote

Rumor Du Jour
Big Blue Thinks About a Java-only AS/400 Server Line
Word on the street has it that IBM is thinking about launching a Java-only
line of AS/400 servers. The machines, intended to support Java application
suites, would match the single-level storage capabilities of OS/400 -- a big
advantage for object-oriented applications like those written in Java --
with a pumped up Java virtual machine and application server for running
Java applications.
The Java-only AS/400 servers would include a stripped-down version of OS/400
and its DB2/400 database, and would probably not be able to support RPG or
COBOL legacy applications. Whether or not these machines eventually make it
to market depends on how Java evolves in the commercial market, how fast IBM
can get powerful Pulsar and GHz PowerPC processors to market for the AS/400,
how well both are received by application developers and customers, and if
IBM thinks it can make money selling stripped down AS/400s rather than the
full-blown (and presumably more expensive) AS/400 servers.

End Quote

TIA,

Cyndi Bradberry
Idaho Housing and Finance Association