Dear Philippe,

The AS/36 model 236 consists of AS/400 RISC processor based hardware running an
updated version of the original S/36 operating system known as SSP. Because of
the underlying AS/400 based nature of an AS/36, you gain some added
capabilities that were not available on the original S/36. There is a PRPQ
available for the AS/36 model 236 known as the DOS Client for SSP PRPQ. This
PRPQ effectively adds Client Access/400 for DOS capabilities to your AS/36
including the QPCSUPP subsystem.

One of the significant benefits of the Microsoft SNA Server software product is
its ability to receive information from an IBM Midrange host using SNA
protocols and then allow LAN clients to access the information using TCP/IP
based applications (TN5250 and FTP). The current TN5250 support available in
Microsoft's SNA Server product requires the QPCSUPP subsystem to be available
on the target IBM Midrange host to which the TN5250 clients would like to
establish a connection. Adding the PRPQ referenced above provides the necessary
subsystem support on your AS/36 model 236 machines to allow the SNA Server
software TN5250 support to function correctly. If you were to investigate
converting your client applications to TN5250 for display emulation, you would
be able to use 32 bit clients.

File transfer in this environment can be accomplished using FTP from the client
to the SNA Server software. The SNA Server product includes a feature called
AFTP (APPC FTP) which can receive a standard FTP request from a client and then
forward the request to the target IBM Midrange host using this unique AFTP
capability.

ODBC access is supported by using the Client Access for DOS router with SNA
Server instead of the default token ring 802.2 link driver. The DOS Client for
SSP PRPQ also includes the PC diskettes with the DOS Client software for your
Win NT machines. The Client Access for DOS program includes a software program
called a router. The IBM WAN protocol used on the AS/36 includes some of the
broadcast functionality of TCP/IP. The router program allows a particular Win
NT server station to locate a particular IBM Midrange host and begin a WAN
protocol communication with the target host by using IBM's version of
broadcast. In order to perform the SQL communications with the AS/36, it
appears that you will need to be using this router program on your Win NT
machine. You will need to use the router software to enable the communication
with the AS/36 via the token ring card installed in the Win NT server station.
You can then configure the SNA Server software to work with the router program
to make its connection to the AS/36. In this way, you can have complete SQL
access from all Win NT Backoffice software packages to the AS/36 database.

The instructions for configuring SNA Server software to use the Client Access
for DOS router can be found at the following URL:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q107/1/93.asp?FR=0

As far as I know, the SNA Server product has not yet added TN5250E printing
support. Printing can therefore be supported with SNA Server compatible print
client software. LogNet, MPI, and Praim are some of the vendors that offer such
software print clients. It would probably be possible to create one print
server station that could support the printing needs of all of the AS/36's in
your customer's network.

I hope some of these ideas might be useful for your customer.

Best Regards,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi, Technical Director                 E-mail: pault@praim.com
Praim Inc.                                           Tel: 603-431-0606