  • Subject: SMTP Mail Relay
  • From: John Myers <jmyers@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 09:46:51 -0500

We use the native AS/400 SMTP server for much of our e-mail processing.

We recently received a message from an "anti-spammer" group which stated:

Your IP Address has been added to the ORBS list, because it appears to be an
open relay. An open relay is an SMTP server that accepts E-mail from
anywhere on the Internet and forwards it to anywhere else on the
Internet.
Such systems are frequently abused by spammers to send their spam,
which makes them very difficult to block (which is of course why
the spammers do it).
The ORBS list is not published in any form. No one can go to it
and "see" that you are listed. However, some sites choose to consult
the ORBS list via DNS prior to accepting E-mail, and may refuse E-mail
from sites listed by ORBS. By doing so they substantially decrease
the amount of spam they receive.
To get off the ORBS list, you need to disable the outside relay
features of your mail server and then report your IP address
to our web site at http://www.dorkslayers.com/orbs/closed1.cgi.
We will immediately de-list your site and then re-test it for
third-party relay capabilities.
Please check out our web site at
http://www.dorkslayers.com/orbs/
for links to other sites that may be able to help you close
your relay.
ORBS is an automated system, because that is the only way we
can deal with the sheer scale of the open relay problem. We
do not intend to appear impersonal or threatening. We simply
want to reduce the spam coming into our mailboxes, and this
system is one way we do this.
ORBS is a free service. We gain nothing by listing your server
except reducing our spam volume.
The ORBS testing mechanism is very robust. You would not have
been added to ORBS unless we sucessfully relayed a message to
ourselves via your server. The test message that we did send
follows this notification. If we have, somehow, made a mistake
in this matter, please write and we will fix the problem
immediately.
ORBS does not scan for open relays. Your server was tested and
added to the list because someone else reported you to our site
as having an open relay. At that time we sent the test to verify
that you had an open relay and then added you to the list.
ORBS is a legitimate service. You may ask about us on SPAM-L,
news.admin.net-abuse.email or if you require confirmation
from others as to our goals and methods.
Please do not send threatening or abusive E-mail to ORBS. We
post such messages to our web site to reduce our stress levels.
Threatening us does you no good - the people who use ORBS to
restrict their incoming E-mail have chosen to do so and absolutely
want to be protected from open relays.

There do not seem to be any SMTP parameters which relate to mail relay capabilities.  Can anyone give me some guidance as to how to turn off mail relay capabilities?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

John Myers
Strategic Business Systems, Inc.
300 Lake Street, Suite B, Ramsey, NJ 07446  USA
E-mail: mailto:jmyers@sbsusa.com   Phone: +1 (201) EASY 400   x131
Web:    http://www.sbsusa.com      Fax:   +1 (201) 327-6984

Instant AS/400 Web Guestbooks & Surveys - WebSurvey/400
     http://www.sbsusa.com/internet/inpuzsvy.htm +--- | This is the Midrange System Mailing List! | To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com. | To subscribe to this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-SUB@midrange.com. | To unsubscribe from this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com. | Questions should be directed to the list owner/operator: david@midrange.com +---