Rich Duzenbury wrote:

> BTW: Does anyone have direct experience with a PCMCIA modem that will do
>autosync?  I've been thinking of getting a laptop, but it won't do much good
>for me without autosync type access.  The hayes website doesn't list Autosync
>as a feature on their PCMCIA Optima modem, and I notice it is quite a bit less
>expensive than the optima ISA and external modems, which tells me that perhaps
>it's not quite a 'full-up' optima.

I recently went through this whole routine for a customer who wanted
to use a ThinkPad at home to access 400... Bought him a Optima PCMCIA
modem, MI Remote 5250, about 15 minute install,,,,, he is up and
running...
Micro Intergration's product is a fairly old & appears to be very
stable...

There is a VERY long story about the MI & Synapse companies and how they
both ended up with similar products... The short version revolves around
the guy who wrote the original APPC code for IBM and where he ended up
years
later... The autosysnc modem is really strange and seems to work with
any number of sync modems at the 400 side....We put Optima modems on
both
ends, and it just seems to fly along... Printer support is built in so,
no
monkeying around with all that.... TCP/IP is a option, but when you get
through screwing around with emulation, printer support and all that, it
just seems to be a little clunky to suit me...