AS400 Access from Internet

We have been doing this for over a year now.  There is a company named
"Farabi Tech." (www.farabi.com) that has a product called "FrontHost".  It
runs on an NT (PDC) server with IIS and MS SNA connected backward to the
AS/400 on your internal network from one Network interface card (NIC).  The
second NIC is connected forward (out onto the internet) via a router with
internet access on it.  The first NIC is NOT running TCP/IP at all so your
AS/400 is a bit more secure from the internet.  You setup user id's on the
"Farabi" system ("HostFront") for the people you want to have access to the
AS/400.  The size of the line out to the internet can be what ever you want
(i.e.: 56k, 128k, T1).  We started out with a 56k leased line but are now
moving up to a 128k line because we are adding VPN for whole network access.

Learn from us, if you start out with a 56k line and want to bump it up later
you may find that you will have to replace you router so get the size line
you need up front.  Our ISP told us that this would happen but we were
trying to save money at the time.  The only thing your users need is a
dial-up internet account or internet access from their company LAN (AOL etc.
will not work) and a browser.  They hit your web page that "HostFront" sets
up and connect to the NT box and get a 5250 session in their browser.  You
can have your users connect using "JAVA" or "ActiveX", it's up to you.  The
only "real" IP addresses that you need are the one for the router and one
for the outside NIC and you can get those from your ISP.  This is our cost
break down:

Pipline 50 router (56k) - $1,700.00 (one time cost)
Phone Company install of 56k line - $1,100.00 (one time cost)
ISP setup cost - $500.00 (one time cost)
Phone Company monthly charge - about $125.00
ISP monthly charge - $245.00

We also run our e-mail server across this same line.  We just put in a small
5 port hub and ran the internet line into it.  I hope that this helps
someone out there.  And NO, I don't work for "Farabi Tech."!!  Take care.

Lamar Thomas
Lamart@aldon.com