  • Subject: Re: overlay question
  • From: Jerry Keppler <kepplerj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 13:51:57 -0500

mohammad khan wrote:

> hi,
>
> i have a question about overlaying 3 records in a dspf.
>
> how do you specify which records ought to be overlaid. i mean, in an
> rpg pgm. (which i must write) how do you tell the pgm to overlay rec1
> w/rec2 at this point in the pgm and rec3 w/rec4 at another point, so
> on and so forth...?

The overlay keyword doesn't specify that the record can be overlayed, it
means the record can overlay other records which may already be on the
display.

When you specify an overlay keyword on a record format, it will not
erase the screen when it is displayed.  You control in your program
which record format is written at what time.  Also, the overlay keyword
can be conditioned with an indicator.

I usually have one record format with the overlay keyword conditioned
with an indicator. This one I always display first. On the other record
formats, I always specify the overlay keyword, but do not condition it
so overlay is always in effect for these record formats.   The first
time I display my screen to the user I make sure the overlay keyword is
off so that the screen is cleared, then I turn it on.  It will usually
be on after this point unless I need to clear the screen again.  An
example of would be calling another program which also displays stuff on
the screen.  This technique will also stop the screen from flashing when
it is re-displayed.