  • Subject: Re: Leased Lines vs Frame Relay w/voice over frame
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 11:23:10 -0500

May I suggest that you run these concurrently?  For example if you've got a
leased line
between SYSTEMA and SYSTEMB then leave it there for now.  I hope that you have
a lan
adapter in each system?  If not, buy one.  I will be talking token ring but the
same basic
idea applies for ethernet.  Get a ring set up at each location.  Put a router
on each ring.
Connect your frame relay lines into the routers.  Configure TCP/IP on each
system.  Test
that.  Got that working?  Convert your SNA to run over the lan lines.  Got that
working.  Wait
30 days.  Drop leased line.  The costs of routers and lan equipment add to your
cost, but
they greatly add to the flexibility for attaching PC's, etc.  Prepares you for
the day when
your company starts using a LAN based package such as Notes.  Bunch of remote
5250 devices?  Evaluate replacing them with Netstations or PC's, the printers
with LAN
printers.  Too many?  Users love them?  Use a 5494 or lookalike to hook up your
5250 devices to the Lan.

jacklea@twave.net on 09/24/98 11:03:29 AM
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet