  • Subject: Re: BIG/bad news from IBM
  • From: Larry Bolhuis <lbolhui@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 23:47:14 -0400

snick.....  (sound of don stepping on land mine....)

RANT(*ON)

  HOW CAN YOU ENDURE THE CRAP THAT MS CALLS AN OPERATING SYSTEM!?!?!?!

  Crashes, Hangs, glitches, bugs, JUNK JUNK JUNK.

  Example: No more GPF's now we get 'program has performed an illegal
operation' and that 'more info' button.  Oooooooohhh, that's usefull.

  Example: Change nearly anything re networking and you gotta re-load
the CD so it can re-load all the files that are already there. (Unless
you have the CD on your hard drive..)

  Example: Create a shortcut in W95, then move the program the shortcut
points to.  Stupid shortcut stays put pointing to the ozone.  Do this in
OS/2 and the 'shortcut' still points to the correct program no matter
where you put it.

  Example: Put too much stuff in the W95 startup folder. It won't.

  Example: Open too many applications and it crashes.

  Example: JUST TRY to tell W95 that you don't want it to load a driver
for a particular piece of hardware. It keeps re-installing it even when
you check the box "DON't ASK AGAIN!"

  Example: Send any data to specific IP Port numbers and BLUE SCREEN OF
DEATH.

  W95 Multitasks about as well as my 4 year old.  Use a floppy and your
internet download may time out! Open MS Exchange to recieve faxes and
80% of your CPU is gone. NO PROBLEM in OS/2.

  And don't tell me there's no DOS in there, it still processes
CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT and MSDOS.SYS and IO.SYS are still on the
hard drive.

  I frequently have 30 or more applications open in OS/2 (P120 w/ 64M)
and it just keeps on running!

  I have been running OS/2 since the free copy I got at a COMMON
conference many years ago, AND IT WORKS!  I have not yet found a Win3.1
app that does not run. (I Don't search for them of course) I use Word,
Excel, Lotus 1-2-3, and lots more plus Shiva Net Manager and Intel
Netport Manger which aren't even supposed to work in OS/2!

  Win95: Wanna change ANY TCP/IP Property - REBOOT.
  OS/2: Change Routes, IP Addresses, Nameservers, etc etc - Live.

  If I close the lid on my laptop (in suspend mode) W95 reboots when you
open back up(Toshiba machine which came with this W95 installed). You
must to START (TO STOP!?!) then SUSPEND before you can close the lid.
With OS/2 just close it. It comes back up perfectly.

  W95 needs to be re-booted at LEAST daily OS/2 - Once a month MAYBE.

  I HAVE NEVER Re-loaded OS/2 except after a disk failure.  W95 seems to
need re-loading periodically because it gets wrapped up in it's
underwear.

  And don't even get me started on NT......

  Enough already, real point: OS/2 - Obsolete Soon too. IBM BLEW IT.
There are scarcly any Real OS/2 Apps and those vendors are bailing like
rats from a sinking ship.

  Final Parting Shot:  You all have my sympathy for enduring the pain of
W95 & NT.

RANT(*OFF)

  Larry Bolhuis
  Arbor Solutions, Inc