  • Subject: RE: Design shift of view
  • From: Walden Leverich <walden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:54:53 -0400

This thread has taken an interesting academic twist. Let us all remember
that we work for companies that are in the business to make money
(non/not-for profit excluded). So, yes machines are faster, but still
not fast enough. Imagine presenting to your management that you want to
spend 100K on an AS/400 upgrade and your users won't see any performance
improvement. (AKA, selling V3Rx to a V2Rx company) All the company will
get from this upgrade is the ability to move programs/display/physicals
into production without any downtime. While some managers (very few)
might bite, the rest would laugh you out of the office. Or to put it
another way, how would you like B50 performance from your brand-spanking
new 620?

Now, I don't disagree that display/print files should be changeable with
a RPLOBJ option, just like programs, but to take the concept to the
database is going to far, IMHO. I'd love it, but the machine performance
isn't there yet. And remember, the RPLOBJ option on a program compile is
a happy side effect to the fact that once a name is resolved the program
is called again via its pointer, not via its name. So we tell the
program object that it is in QRPLOBJ now, not PRDPGMS and away we go. We
aren't actually moving the program, but counting on the fact that it
doesn't move.

-Walden