  • Subject: Re: dev tool help...
  • From: "Rob Dixon" <rob.dixon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 16:49:57 +0100

Dave

I only know that Genexus claims to be the first Intelligent Development
tool but since it generates code, I am not convinced by the claim.  I
believe that a truly Intelligent tool would not require any coding or
program generation.

I do not know what sort of project you wish to develop but hope you will
not mind me sending you details of our tool which has rather better claims
to be intelligent, since  it allows complex applications to be created
without, most of the time, the need to  code or generate any new programs.
This means that maintenance is much simpler and can often be done whilst
applications are live, even when the database structure is being changed.

Our Neural Database for the AS/400 allows application development without a
detailed specification, without physical database design and, most of the
time, without coding or generation of new programs.  The applications can
handle very complex data and images in relational, hierarchical and network
structures, all integrated with each other. Simple
applications can be developed in just a few minutes and more complex ones
(with, say, 20 entity types) in a few hours by
multiple concurrent developers. All are Internet ready, have journalling,
commitment control, can handle many-to-many relationships, have an audit
trail for both data definition and user data and are totally integrated,
without redundant data. Data definitions and applications can be changed
whilst applications are live.

The Neural Database was written in RPG.  It uses only 8 physical files,
however many entity types there are, and no logical files.  Response times
are typically one tenth of similar traditionally created applications
running on the same AS/400 model and the database is very scalable.

I am attaching a short description of the product.

If you are willing to let me know what sort of project you are working on,
I could tell you whether I think ERROS might be appropriate.

Rob Dixon

Erros plc

Tel:  44 1865 343811

Fax: 44 1865 343899

E-mail:rob.dixon@erros.co.uk

> From: HAVEAJOB@aol.com
> To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
> Subject: dev tool help...
> Date: 08 July 1998 14:21
>
> Can anyone give me some insight into the GENEXUS development tool?
Supposedly
> originated in South America.  Any thoughts, comments, descriptions, etc.
would