  • Subject: Re: Remote office connection
  • From: Larry Bolhuis <lbolhui@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 01:00:50 -0400

I agree with Jerry but would offer the following cautions/enhancements.

 1) For 200 users, 64K will likely be quite insufficient, espescially if
there is any amount of printing.  Depending on the quantity of
voice/fax/email traffic between the sites a DS1(T1) may be more
appropriate. Use some chanels for voice between phone switches and the
rest for the WAN.  This can be a big $$ saver if there is a lot of voice
traffic between sites.

 2) As Chuck added, certain types of printing will be a problem.  To
solve that, real twinax printers continue to be the best solution.  LAN
based printers work fine for normal report printing, but twinax still
yeilds the best control for pre-printed forms - Alignment messages etc.
To support these check out the Perle 594e remote controller.  These
units can be connected to the LAN and with recent enancements will run
over TCP/IP (using anynet)  To the Perle, connect your twinax printers
and any real green screens that you may want.

  Larry Bolhuis
  Arbor Solutions, Inc
  lbolhui@ibm.net