  • Subject: Re: Client Access Question
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 12:49:29 -0500

Instead of using Client Access via the async dial up, (I assume that you are
using either an ASCII workstation controller or some such product), have you
considered using IBM's 8235 dial up unit?  I know that it may be hard to cost
justify once you've already spent money on the previous solution, (trial period
maybe?).  Basically the 8235 allows you to dial in to the network itself.  Our
token ring configuration allows the remote user to dial into the 8235 with
their modem.  Once they are there then they can use Client Access just like
they are on the network locally.  They can also do any network function that
they can do locally.  You can put security up the wazoo on the 8235, (separate
passwords, dial back, etc).

JDG@patuxent.com on 06/26/98 12:35:57 PM
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet