John Hall wrote to midrange-l:

Date:   Tue, 09 Jun 1998 12:55:18 -0400
From:   John Hall <jhall@hillmgt.com>
Subject:        AFP Printer problems

Here is one for the printer Guru's out there.
We have a Intermate MIO card in our HP 4si printer.  It emulates a 4028 printer.
When we upgraded to V4R2 the columns on certain reports did not line up
correctly.
This is a problem on 132 column reports where the output is rotated
automatically

This seems to be related to a message we get whenever we print one of
these files
PQT2072 - Font Substitution was performed.
your print request ... referred to FGID 00204 ... not present in printer
.... FGID 00223 substituted.

This print job starts out as an SCS file.  Is there a way to specify what FGID
is used when the conversion is done?  It seems like the system is converting
the file to AFP with font 00204 and then substituting another font when it
tries to print.
John L. Hall
Home Sales

Dear John,

The feature you are referring to is called COR - Computer Output Reduction. A
description of the feature is listed below.

When IBM Midrange computers were initially produced, letter quality printing
was supported with a daisy wheel printer. The printer, known as an IBM 5219,
could handle both green bar continuous forms paper being fed up through the
bottom of the printer or letter and legal size paper stored in cut sheet feed
trays.

When IBM prepared to begin shipping their first laser printer for the Midrange
environment (3812 model 1), they were faced with the need to support
applications that printed on paper that was too large to be fed into a laser
printer (green/grey bar paper). Their answer was to create a laser printer
function called Computer Output Reduction (COR). The feature worked much like
the reduction feature of a copier in that it reduced an incoming report to 70%
of full size. The form size received from the host had to be larger than LEGAL
paper in order for the COR function to be invoked.

All of IBM's direct twinax attach matrix printer products have a defined
carriage width of 13.2 inches. Since this value is less than the 14 inch length
of LEGAL paper rotated into landscape orientation, the COR feature is usually
triggered by the page length being greater than 8.5 inches (more than 51 lines
at 6 LPI or 68 lines at 8 LPI). The COR font and LPI substitutions are as
follows:

Host Application Requests 10 CPI        -       Printer Uses 13.3 CPI
Host Application Requests 12 CPI        -       Printer Uses 15 CPI
Host Application Requests 15 CPI        -       Printer Uses 20 CPI
Host Application Requests 17 CPI        -       Printer Uses 27 CPI

Host Application Requests 6 LPI         -       Printer Uses 8.6   LPI
Host Application Requests 8 LPI         -       Printer Uses 11.1 LPI

Top Margin                              -       Set to 1/2 inch
Left Margin                             -       Set to 1/2 inch

The COR function is only used with fixed pitch fonts (i.e. all characters
receive the same amount of space). It is not a good idea to map reports
constructed with fixed pitch fonts to a proportional font. If this procedure is
implemented; bolding, justification, and tabs may not appear as expected.

When IBM implemented IPDS support for laser printers into the AS/400 operating
system, they decided to prevent the SCS data stream from being sent directly to
an IPDS printer. An operating system conversion routine was invented that was
able to convert SCS files into an appropriate IPDS format during their batch
processing. Thus the COR function, which is printer resident for SCS printers,
is actually operating system resident for IPDS printers.

>From the message you received on your host, we know that the COR conversion of
>a 10 CPI formatted job worked correctly because the system is requesting font
>204 (Gothic Text 13). Unfortunately the true IBM 4028 printer did not support
>this font. It offered 32 internal fonts. The fixed CPI's supported were 10,
>12, 15, 17.1, and 20. Thus the system message is telling you that since 13 CPI
>was unavailable, it performed a substitution and used a 15 CPI font instead.
>This is why your formatting looks a little bit strange.

The IPDS 300 dpi resolution printers that followed the 4028 (3912/3916,
3112/3116, and NP12, NP17, NP24) all included an internal 13 CPI font. If your
Intermate product offers one of these emulations as well as 4028, changing the
emulation will solve the problem.

If your Intermate product does not support any of the other 300 dpi IPDS
printer emulations listed above, you can also solve the problem by selecting a
240 dpi IPDS printer emulation such as 3812 or 3816.

Hope this helps,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi, Technical Director                 E-mail: pault@praim.com
Praim Inc.                                           Tel: 603-431-0606